Tuesday 14 August 2012

Into The Belly of the Beast


So today was the first workout and it went well! Good news is the gym is super quiet in the morning (I got there for like 7:45ish) which is awesome. It means I can save on the embarrassment of looking like a weights noob while I make sure my form is correct.

Workout was as follows:

Crosstrainer - 5 minutes for a warm up (I'll increase this to 15 from now on just because it felt a bit short)

Stretching (Mostly streatched my legs, hamstrings, calves etc because of it being leg day with a bit of back stretching for later). Stretching has always been a weak point of mine, yes I realise that sounds stupid but what I mean is I've never really spent enough time in the past doing it. From now on i'm gonna spend 5-10 minutes before any workout just stretching.

Legs (Machine):
 - Leg Extensions 1x12@10kg, 1x12@12.5kg, 1x12@10kg
 - Leg Curls 1x12@14kg, 1x12@15kg, 1x12@20kg

Back/Shoulders
 - Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 1x12@20kg, 1x12@25kg, 1x12@27.5kg
 - Seated Row 1x12@15kg, 1x12@20kg, 1x12@22.5kg

Eventually I'm going to be squatting a lot as well for Leg days and doing pull ups for the back. Pull ups have always been a week point for me, I have a fair bit of lower body strength upper body not so much. Good thing is the gym I go to has an assisted pull-up machine so as I lose weight and build strength I'll be using that.

Cardio Today was:
~37 minutes including warmup and main ride. I did 8km in 25 minutes which is about a third of the distance I need to build up to. I varied the intensity as I went along nothing crazy but enough so it was noticeably harder (and it bloody was at some parts) I could probably go a lot faster than this without the resistance cranked up, but for now this is how i'll be training I will need to do speed training at some point though.

Another thing to not not really related to the workout, I need some padded shorts and soon. Sitting on a bike that long is painful and if i'm going to be doing longer rides I'll need support in the right places if I went to walk afterwards.

I was going to swim today too just to start it but the times are weird with it being school holidays so I missed out by about an hour and would have had to wait another hour before I could do it, so I will now be swimming before the main workout, mainly this will be volume building but I'll probably do one day a week where I do stroke drills too.

I actually stretched when I got home too which makes it a first for me and I am already glad I did. Hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow now.

Running starts tomorrow and will probably be the hardest part for me. I'm supposed to be doing 15 minutes I think but If I feel I can keep going I might set a distance goal (3 or 5k). Another alternative is to do a couch to 5k thing go for 30 minutes with jogging and walking intervals (2 minute walk, 3 minute jog) until I can run a full 30 minutes again. Either that or the long swim days could be on the run days too.

Weight wise tomorrow is shoulders and chest so I'll be trying my best to get my form correct with free weights. I know the weight work doesn't appear to be a lot but I think that's the idea. It's more aimed at building strength and stability without fatiguing you too badly for all the cardio, If it needs to be changed to meet changing goals then I will do as necessary (Probably do starting strength or WS4SB).

The training says abs everyday too so when I do start that I'll be mixing it up between the P90x Ab workout and the Insanity Ab one. I'll have to see about this though. I'm also going to work in the P90x yoga workout (It's pretty tough I've done it before) a couple of times a week for flexibility and just to stretch more.

Overall I'm pretty stoked to be exercising again and it's only going to get better from here (especially when I start to run more, mmmm Runner's High fuck yeah!). Let's hope I stay injury free and keep the train rolling.

Diet will change from next week but I'll make a separate post on this later. But that's eat for today!

Peace

EDIT: Oh I'm, logging my stuff on Fitocracy too! I love MMOs and this lets me level by exercising! Check it out its pretty cool: http://www.fitocracy.com/profile/CtrlF4/

No comments:

Post a Comment